Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Poland - safely arrived in Gdansk and enjoying Gdynia

I am sitting in the Frederic Chopin Airport in Warsaw, Poland, but have no internet access. With all the renovations in evidence, I am a bit surprised that access to the internet is not an option. I would pay for the access (I have over a two hour wait till my flight to Gdansk) if it were offered.



I cannot see the city from the airport, but there are symbols and signs that I am indeed in Poland: Chopin’s visage smiles down on passersby from billboards on the concourses; the airport chapel’s altar is ready for Mass and the Blessed Sacrament is present; and I paid for soup in zlotys.

My sojourn in Ireland visiting cousins was a great success; I saw more cousins and their children on this visit, and it was wonderful to be with them. The weather cooperated and the sun shone brightly to allow me to capture many photos of the beautiful countryside and of my dear cousins.

We arrived in Gdansk safely, and I took a photo of the city as the plane approached the Lech Walesa Airport! I really am in Poland and in the home of Solidarnosc! We are awating the arrival of Serenity and Deborah, and then the exciting program begins in earnest.

After the arrival of Deborah and Serenity, and after the lovely typical Polish meal and beautiful sunset, Monika drove us around Gdynia to enjoy the sights by night. We took in the city views from the seaside, the higheght hilltop over the city, and from the promenade.


We also found several memorials and monuments to the area's History: stones commemorating resistance to fascism and dictatorship, a giant lighted cross also commemorating the efforts of the resisters, and one honoring the Poles who were sent to Siberia between 1939 and 1956.






Deborah and Serenity have arrived to join Debra and me in completing our team!

No comments:

Post a Comment